Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Pre-departure blog beginnings.....

Bula -

I've never packed for 2 years before . . .

So, this is the first entry of my blog for my Peace Corps adventure. I leave for LA next Monday, spend Tuesday there in a staging event, and then we catch an 11:30 PM flight from LAX to Suva (capital city of Fiji), arriving at 5:00 AM on Thursday May 20th. All I know right now, is that on the way from the airport in Suva to our training site, we will undergo some sort of water test (go directly into the ocean; do not pass go, do not collect $200.....). Evidently, we will be spending lots of time near, on and in the Pacific Ocean. Curses! :-)

I will be spending the next 27 months in the Youth Development project as part of the health promotion effort in Fiji.

Below is a letter I received this week from the Peace Corps regarding the state of affairs in Fiji. While I realize that I am incredibly fortunate to have received this assignment, there is the reality of what is happening in Fiji today -

Recent Political Situation in Fiji.

In December 2006, the Commander of Fiji Military Forces overthrew the constitutionally elected civilian government of Fiji in a non-violent coup. There is an unelected government in place appointed by the President. The affairs of the government are controlled by a military council consisting of senior military officers headed by the commander of the Fiji military forces who is also the Prime Minister. The interim government has indicated they will hold general elections by October 2014.The current government has appointed numerous military personnel to key position in the civil service and various arms of government administration, statutory bodies and municipalities. Political parties and neighboring governments including the Commonwealth are seriously concerned about the return to properly elected civilian government. Fiji has been expelled from the Pacific Islands Forum and the Commonwealth. Unemployment is high and the poverty level, as reported by local media, to be approximately 45%. Fiji is still technically under Public Emergency Regulation (PER), put into place in May of 2009, which severely restricts any public gathering with a political agenda and protest marches or processions (though tensions have eased, and we are not as worried about gatherings as we were a few months ago). Media freedom is under strict control, and all media outlets are closely monitored by security forces. In absence of a parliamentary system, Fiji is currently governed through decrees.

Despite the calm situation, Volunteers and Trainees are advised to avoid large gatherings of any nature, especially if there is any political or social agenda involved. A peaceful or legal demonstration could turn into a violent encounter, thereby endangering your safety. Volunteers/Trainees should refrain from making political comments or advancing their opinions on political matters or issues. Avoid taking pictures of police or military institutions. If confronted by police, Volunteers/Trainees should remain calm and be polite as little agitation could provoke officers.


What I do know is that I will be spending the first 7 weeks in language and cultural training. I believe I will be living with a host family, but I'm not sure. I have no idea if I will have internet access during this time. I don't yet know any specifics of my permanent assignment. Like much of my experience with the PC, there is quite a bit of unknown involved, which has been incredibly instructive so far.

About the Peace Corps http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=learn&

About Fiji http://www.fiji.gov.fj/

Please write me @ matthewpeake59@gmail.com or find me on Facebook. I should have periodic access to Skype (find me on Skype - Matthew Peake in Hanalei). The phone and texting probably won't be advisable options long-term. I will post when I can. I am greatly looking forward to this adventure. Thanks to all of you, especially my unbelievable daughters Kaitlyn and Kelsey, for all of your support.

Namaste

7 comments:

  1. Go with good, Matt. I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thieu- I am very proud of you. Be safe. The Giants will still be struggling when you return. Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww thanks for the shout out dad. we are very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt you are embarking on such an amazing adventure. You will be missed but know that you have all of us in your back pocket anytime you need to call on us. I will be keeping in touch. Travel safely

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will just echo what Alexandra said so well - hope you can have occasional email access. let us know if specific care packages are requested - hmm, how do well do Peet's coffee beans travel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. let us know when you need some of that good ole North Carolina BBQ. Always will have some venison jerky ready to ship, although you might not like the circumstances of which it was aquired. Be safe my friend and anything you or your lovely daughters need will be there post haste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matty! Omg how are you faring? I miss you terribly. I can't even go to Neecha thai without you. Lame- I love Sandra BTW. Great yoga teacher. Umm it's totally raining here. I know, shock face... By virtue of evil neighbors I am leaving for Ventura on the 4th of June and can't wait actually. I plan to spend every second that I'm not hanging out with my little niece, on the beach or in the Ocean. ME TIME!!
    The El Salvador thang is happening. I am so close now to my goal it's awesome. Thank you so much for your support and guidance with all of that. I am sending you a private message on FB as well which you need to check regarding your mail. I hope your journey is everything you wanted and more.
    Skype me if you can!!

    ReplyDelete